Movie Theater Popcorn at Home
Posted by popcornpopper on December 27, 2008
Making Popcorn at Home Taste Like Movie Theater Popcorn
by Tom Fischer
If you are like most popcorn lovers, you will sometimes go to the movies just to get have some great tasting movie theater popcorn. Don’t worry, many people do, but only a few know, that home popcorn can be just as great as movie theater popcorn.
I’ve found that the best home popcorn machine for this is the Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper, which is a stovetop popper. Its durable aluminum pan has a clip-on top, which has a stay-cool handle attached to it. Once you fire it up, you have to rotate the handle, which rotate a rod in the pan. This rotating rod makes sure that all kernels receive the same amount of heat and oil. The Whirley Popper has steam shafts on its lid, which allows steam to escape, keeping your popcorn free of excess moisture.
So prepare your Whirley Pop, decide how many people will be enjoying movie popcorn at home, and prepare the ingredients:
Quarts of Popcorn | Amount of Oil | Amount of Corn
2 |1 tablespoon | 1/3 Cup
4 |2 tablespoon | 2/3 Cup
6 |2 tablespoons | 1 Cup
8 |3 tablespoons | 1 1/4 Cups
Once the ingredients are prepared, follow these steps:
1. Neither the popper, nor the oil need to be preheated.
2. Place the above ingredients into your Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper and put the popper onto your gas or electric stove. Turn the stove to medium heat, and do not add any seasoning (salt, butter, seasoning mix) yet, just the corn and oil.
3. Start slowly turning the wooden lever. You may need to adjust temperature of the stove so popping is finished after about 3 minutes.
4. Turn the crank through the entire popping process until there is only an occasional pop every 2-3 seconds.
5. You need to take the popcorn maker off the stove when the popping is finished.
6. Pour the popcorn into a serving bowl.
7. Sprinkle with butter, salt or popcorn seasoning and enjoy!
Some Advice on Using Your Whirley Pop Popcorn Maker
* Medium heat is plenty, setting it too high will burn the popcorn and leave many kernels unpopper.
* 1-2 tablespoons of oil is enough, drenching it in oil will ruin the popcorn.
* Use quality corn.
And there you have it! Its time to enjoy your home made move popcorn, all it takes is a couple minutes of preparation. And the good news is that popcorn made with your Whirley Pop will be much healthier than movie theater popcorn, because they add lots of “secret” ingredients to their recipes, which generally consist of artificial ingredients.
If you want a virtually zero calorie popcorn treat, go for an air popper, as it uses revolving air to pop the kernels instead of oil. The result will be a fibre rich snack, but it won’t have the same taste. You can prepare seasoning and sprinkle it on, even add some butter at the end, but it won’t have the same movie taste.
Movie theater popcorn is great, and you can make some at home as well, by visiting Tom Fischer’s site to find a great popcorn popper selection, including the Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper mentioned in the article, plus dozens of tasty popcorn recipe.